Friday, October 21, 2016

It is October 21, 2017 and I've begun reading George Eliot's Middlemarch. I am reading the Barnes & Noble edition published in 1996. I've long been curious about this big book and its author George Elliot, who as you know, was actually a woman named Mary Ann Evans (1819-1880). I read her novel Silas Marner in high school, but I couldn't tell you what it is about now. Within the last year I watched a movie version of her novel Daniel Deronda which dealt with anti-Jewish prejudice. In the introduction to the Barnes & Noble edition is this quote from Virginia Woolf about Middlemarch:
Middlemarch is "the magnificent book which for all its imperfections is one of the few English novels written for grown-ups."
This blog is not intended to be an academic analysis. It will be informal and conversational as I reflect on my reading. I will mention that the historical setting of this novel is the early 1830s England. The novel itself was published in 1871-1872.

No comments:

Post a Comment